Business Finance Assignment Collections – assignmentcollections.com
NeoPhotonics Corporation (NSM:NPTN)
NeoPhotonics develops, manufactures and sells optoelectronic products that transmits, receive and switch digital optical signals for communications networks. Co.’s products are categorized into two groups: High Speed Products, a transmitter and receiver products as well as switching and other component products designed for 100G and beyond data rates, such as at 200G, 400G, for telecom and data center or content provider networks; and Network Products and Solutions, for speeds less than 100G including 40G, 10G and lower data rates, and other passive telecom and instrumentation products.
In completing the report, you will use the chapters in the eBook and other course material, and perform research on the company and industry in which the company operates and answer the required elements below in narrative form following the steps provided.
Step 1: Specific Company for All Four Projects
In this project, you will complete a Company Overview, an Evaluation of the General Environment and a conclusion.
You will be assigned by your instructor one focal company to complete the analysis. The assigned company must be used for all four projects in this course. You are not allowed to write the report on any other company different from the company specifically assigned by your instructor. If a company other than that assigned to you is used, a zero will be assigned.
The companies that your instructor has assigned to each of you is listed in List of Companies.
Students must complete the project using the assigned company. Deviating from the assigned company will result in a zero for the project. You will look for the company assigned to you in the Announcement area of the classroom.
Step 2: Course Material and Research
Although you are required to research information about the focal company and the internal environment for this project, you are accountable for using the course material to support the ideas, reasoning and conclusions made. Course material use goes beyond defining terms but is used to explain the ‘why and how’ of a situation. Using one or two in-text citations from the course material and then relying on Internet source material will not earn many points on an assignment. A variety of source material is expected and what is presented must be relevant and applicable to the topic being discussed. Avoid merely making statements but close the loop of the discussion by explaining how something happens or why something happens, which focuses on importance and impact. In closing the loop, you will demonstrate the ability to think clearly and rationally showing an understanding of the logical connections between the ideas presented from the research, the course material and the question(s) being asked.
Note: Your report is based on the results of the research performed and not on any prepared documentation. What this means is that you will research and draw your own conclusions that are supported by the research and the course material rather than the use any source material that puts together any of the tools or techniques whether from the Internet, for-pay websites or any pre-prepared document, video or source material. A zero will be earned for not doing your own analysis.
Success: The analysis is based on research and not opinion. You are not making recommendations and you will not attempt to position the focal company in a better or worse light than other companies within the industry merely because you are completing an analysis on this particular company. The analysis must be based on factual information. Any conclusions drawn have to be based on factual information rather than leaps of faith.
To ensure success, as stated above student are expected to use the course material and research on the focal company’s global industry and the focal company. Opinion does not earn credit nor does using external sources when course material can be used. It is necessary to provide explanations (the why and how) rather than making statements. Avoid stringing one citation after another as doing so does not show detailed explanations.
On the main navigation bar in the classroom select, Resources and then select Library. Select Databases by Title (A – Z). Select M from the alphabet list, and then select Mergent Online. You may also use Market Line and should be looking at the focal company’s Annual Report or 10K report. You are not depending on any one resource to complete the analysis. It is impossible to complete a Porter’s Five Forces, competitive analysis or OT by using only course material.
You should not be using obscure articles, GlassDoor, or Chron or similar articles.
Research for Financial Analysis: Financial Research
Research for Industry Analysis CSI Market
UMUC library is available for providing resources and services. Seek library support for excellence in your academic pursuit.
Extensive library resources and services are available online, 24 hours a day, seven days a week at https://www.umuc.edu/library/index.cfm to support you in your studies. The UMUC Library provides research assistance in creating search strategies, selecting relevant databases, and evaluating and citing resources in a variety of formats via its Ask a Librarian service at https://www.umuc.edu/library/libask/index.cfm.
Scholarly Research in OneSearch is allowed.
To search for only scholarly resources, you are expected to place a check mark in the space for “Scholarly journals only” before clicking search.
Step 3: How to Set Up the Report:
In this first part of the External Environmental Analysis, you will develop part of a strategic plan: the Company Overview and an Evaluation of the General Environment. You are not lifting from other sources but performing your own analysis.
Use this template to complete the project: Project 1 Template. The document has to be written in Word or rtf. No other format is acceptable. No pdf files will be graded. Use 12-point font for a double-spaced report. The final product cannot be longer than 8 pages in length, which includes all tables and matrices but excludes the title page and reference page. Do no use an Appendix.
Create a title page with title, your name, the course number, the instructor’s name
Step 4: Company Overview
Provide a company overview, which is an essential component to the strategic management process. A company overview describes the purpose(s) for the founding of the company, i.e, what problems was it formed to solve and/or opportunities it was formed to exploit, who are the founders, home country or state, current management, employee headcount, last year’s revenue, etc.)
Step 5: Evaluate the General Environment
- Identify the global industry in which the company operates.
- Discuss the company’s general environment by developing a PESTEL analysis. Use the course material to identify the elements of the PESTEL and what components make up each element. Be sure to thoroughly present and support the reasoning for what is presented. You may not use a PESTEL analysis that is already completed and available on the Internet. A zero will result if used as the analysis has to be the result of your research and your own development. NOTE: A PESTEL analysis is not a table and it is not a bulleted assessment.
- Identify and discuss one key trend for each letter of the PESTEL for the industry.
- Select one of the six trends identified in the previous requirement and discuss how the focal company could be affected by the selected trends.
- Discuss key areas of uncertainty related to the identified trend for the focal company that could potentially impact the company’s strategy.
- Perform a strategic analysis of the company’s mission, vision and objectives.
Step 6: Conclusion
Create a concluding paragraph. The Conclusion is intended to emphasize the purpose/significance of the analysis, emphasize the significance/consequence of findings, and indicate the wider applications that are derived from the main points of the project’s requirements. You will draw conclusions about the findings of the external environment analysis.
Step 7: Submit the Report in the Assignment Folder
Submitting the project to the Assignment Folder is considered the student’s final product and therefore ready for grading by the instructor. It is incumbent upon the student to verify the Project is the correct submission. No exceptions will be considered by the instructor.
Report Requirements to Follow:
In writing the report,
- Use the grading rubric while completing the project to ensure all requirements are met that will lead to the highest possible grade.
- Third person writing is required. Third person means that there are no words such as “I, me, my, we, or us” (first person writing), nor is there use of “you or your” (second person writing).
- Contractions are not used in business writing, so do not use them.
- No direct quotes except for mission statement and vision statement. For all other source material used in the analysis, you will not use direct quotation marks but will instead paraphrase. What this means is that you will put the ideas of an author or article into your own words rather than lifting directly from a source document. You may not use more than four consecutive words from a source document, as doing so would require direct quotation marks. Changing words from a passage does not exclude the passage from having quotation marks. If more than four consecutive words are used from source documents, this material will not be included in the grade and could lead to allegations of academic dishonesty.
- Use in-text citations and provide a reference list that contains the reference associated with each in-text citation.
- You may not use books in completing this project.
- Provide the page or paragraph number in every in-text citation presented.
- You may not use Fern Fort University, Ibis World or any other for-fee website.