Self-Concept, Perception, and Communication
You have been working at your company for a while now and your supervisor has been noticing and complimenting you on your knowledge of policies and procedures. Recently, your supervisor has come to you with a new request: mentorship of a new employee, who will be starting next week. To help prepare you for the mentorship role you will be taking on, your supervisor has asked you to reflect on the questions below.
Using the Unit 2 Assignment Template, please consider the scenario above and respond to the following (one to two paragraphs each, drawing on course concepts):
- Define your self-concept in the workplace; is it positive or negative? Why?
- What are two of the biggest and most positive influences on your self-concept at work?
- How does your self-concept influence your communication choices with your co-workers? How might it influence your communication with the new employee?
- Define perception. How can your self-concept influence your perception in the workplace?
- Identify two ways you can work to improve upon your perception.
Writing Requirements and Assignment Guidelines
Your Assignment should be 2-3 page expository essay, not including the Title and Reference pages, and should include the following elements:
- Title page: Provide your name, title of Assignment, course and unit number, and date
- Body: Answer the questions in complete sentences and paragraphs
- The assignment must be written in Standard English and demonstrate superior organization, including a highly developed viewpoint and purpose. The communication of your thoughts must be highly ordered, logical, and unified, displaying exceptional content, organization, style, and mechanics (including the use of correct grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure).
- Reference Page: Sources in APA format
- Use Arial or Times New Roman 12 point font, double-spaced
- Use APA Formatting and Citation style
- If you need assistance with APA style, please visit the Academic Writer.
This Assignment assesses the following Course Outcomes:
CM206-1: Explain how self-concept and perception impact interpersonal communication.
GEL-1.02: Demonstrate college-level communication through the composition of original materials in Standard English.
Submitting Your Assignment
Use the provided Unit 2 Assignment Template. Save it in a location and with a name that you will remember. When you are ready to submit, select the Unit 2 Assignment Dropbox and upload your file. To view your graded work after your instructor has evaluated it, please visit your Gradebook.