Operations Management Strategy
Select one of the key concepts from below for your Discussion response for this week. Be sure to identify the name of the organization. If the organizationâ€™s name needs to stay anonymous, please check with the instructor ahead of time regarding how to approach that.
- Describe a mission and strategy statement of your selected organization. What is the difference and importance of these two statements? How do you think they reflect in operations management practices?
- Select a competitor and compare their mission and strategy statements. What insights could you offer from these similarities and differences?
- Compare the four global operations strategy options. How can the leadership of your selected organization use the operations strategy options to improve efficiency?
Be sure to post an initial, about 250-word substantive response by Thursday at 11:59 p.m. MT, and respond to two or more peers with substantive responses by Sunday at 11:59 p.m. MT. A substantive initial post responds to the topics presented completely and/or asks a thoughtful question pertaining to the topic. Two substantive peer responses, of 100 words minimum each, ask a thoughtful question pertaining to the topic and/or answers a question (in detail) posted by another student or the instructor.
- Chapter 2 in Operations Management: Sustainability and Supply Chain Management
- Anand, G., & Gray, J. V. (2017). Strategy and organization research in operations management. Journal of Operations Management, 53-56(1-8). doi:10.1016/j.jom.2017.09.001
- Liu, Y., & Liang, L. (2015). Evaluating and developing resource-based operations strategy for competitive advantage: An exploratory study of Finnish high-tech manufacturing industries. International Journal of Production Research, 53(4), 1019-1037. doi:10.1080/00207543.2014.932936
- Chi, T. (2015). Business contingency, strategy formation, and firm performance: An empirical study of Chinese apparel SMEs. Administrative Sciences, 5(2), 27-45. doi:10.3390/admsci5020027
- Chiarini, A., & Vagnoni, E. (2017). Strategies for modern operations management. Benchmarking: An International Journal, 24(4), 1065-1081. doi:10.1108/BIJ-11-2015-0115
- Adamides, E. D. (2015). Linking operations strategy to the corporate strategy process: A practice perspective. Business Process Management Journal, 21(2), 267-287.
- Kim, G., Lin, W. T., & Simpson, N. C. (2015). Evaluating the performance of US manufacturing and service operations in the presence of IT: a Bayesian stochastic production frontier approach. International Journal of Production Research, 53(18), 5500-5523. doi:10.1080/00207543.2015.1026616