There are certain big questions that philosophers have been puzzling over for centuries. Amazingly, many people ask these same questions in daily life. Choose one of the following six branches of philosophy below. Reflect on the central questions as related to the branch you chose.
Write an APA-formatted essay of 2-3 pages explaining the chosen branch and describing a time in your life when you have asked similar questions. Discuss the specific circumstances that brought you to your conclusions.
Outside sources may be used but are not required for this assignment as the material is largely reflective in nature.
Select one of the following branches of philosophy and answer the following questions for your submission:
- What is real?
- Is the physical world more or less real than the spiritual or psychological world?
- Is there such a thing as a soul? If so, how does it survive outside of a physical body?
- Do all people have free will, or are their lives determined by fate?
- How is anything known?
- What is the basis for knowledge? Is it innate reason, experience, or something else?
- Is all knowledge subjective, or are there some universal truths?
- What is the relationship between faith and reason?
- What can artificial intelligence teach people about knowledge?
- What are the limits of human understanding?
- What is the â€œright thing to doâ€?
- What does it mean to be a â€œgood personâ€?
- Does virtue lead to happiness?
- Do the ends justify the means, or is a virtuous action virtuous in and of itself?
- How does living in a society affect morality?
- Is morality culturally based or individually based, or is there a universal morality?
- What is beautiful?
- Is beauty truly in the eye of the beholder, or are there some things that all cultures find beautiful?
- What is the purpose of art?
- How can a piece of art be successful or valuable? Does beauty matter?
- Political philosophy:
- What is the best kind of government?
- How much power should the government have?
- What kind of people should be in power?
- How involved should the common citizen be in government?
- Social philosophy:
- How should humans behave in a society?
- Do people give up certain rights when they choose to live in a society?
- How do social values affect individual beliefs? Do people behave differently in a crowd than they would individually?
- How does society affect language and other types of communication? Make sure you cite your sources appropriately within your paper, and list them in APA format on your Reference page. Your paper should be 2-3 pages in length, not counting the Title page and Reference page. In accordance with APA formatting requirements, your paper should include a Title and Reference page, should be double-spaced, and include a running head and page numbers.