Assignment: In the Field! Foodborne Outbreak Case Study
Alcan City health officials contacted the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The CDC can serve as lead coordinator between public health partners to detect a foodborne outbreak, define its size and extent, and identify the source of an outbreak (CDC, 2019). Health professionals investigate foodborne outbreaks to control and prevent them from happening in the future.
For this Assignment, you will complete a case study on a foodborne outbreak. All the documents for the Assignment may be downloaded from the Week 4 Learning Resources.
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). (2019b). Foodborne outbreaks. Retrieved from https://www.cdc.gov/foodsafety/outbreaks/index.htm…
Download and carefully read the following documents:
- Document: In the Field Foodborne Outbreak Case Study Worksheet (Word document)
This document contains the case study and worksheet questions you will need to answer.
- Document: Example Scenario of Relative Risk Calculation (Word document)
This document contains an example scenario that explains how to calculate relative risk
- Document: Constructing an Epidemic Curve Using Excel (Word document)
This document contains a step-by-step guide on how to build an Epidemic Curve (Chart) using Microsoft Excel
For this Assignment complete the following:
- Complete the In the Field Foodborne Outbreak Case Study Worksheet document by answering the questions included in the worksheet.
- Build an Epidemic Curve in Microsoft Excel based on the information provided in the Example Scenario of Relative Risk Calculation document. You will need to copy and paste your Excel work onto the last page of the In the Field Foodborne Outbreak Case Study Worksheet document.
- Explain what you think the Epidemic Curve indicates about the foodborne outbreak described in the case study.