THESE ARE THE QUESTIONS 1-5…THE EXCEL SPREADSHEET IS ATTACHED
- A. In the Questions 1-2 tab of Discussion Board Forum 1/Project 2.xls, use Question 1A to create a set of 5 points that are very close together and record the standard deviation. Next, add a sixth point that is far away from the original 5 and record the new standard deviation.
What is the impact of the new point on the standard deviation? Do not just give a numerical value for the change. Explain in sentence form what happened to the standard deviation.
B. In the Questions 1-2 tab of Discussion Board Forum 1/Project 2.xls, use Question 1B to create a data set with 8 points in it that has a mean of approximately 10 and a standard deviation of approximately 1. Use the second chart of Question 1B to create a second data set with 8 points that has a mean of approximately 10 and a standard deviation of approximately 4. What did you do differently to create the data set with the larger standard deviation? (4 points)
- In the Questions 1-2 tab of Discussion Board Forum 1/Project 2.xls, use Question 2 to enter values matching the following data set. (8 points)
50, 50, 50, 50, 50.
Notice that the standard deviation is 0. Explain why the standard deviation for this one is zero. Do not show the calculation. Explain in words why the standard deviation is zero when all of the points are the same. If you donâ€™t know why, try doing the calculation by hand to see what is happening. If that does not make it clear, try doing a little research on standard deviation and see what it is measuring and then look again at the data set for this question.
- In the Question 3 tab of Discussion Board Forum 1/Project 2.xls, use Question 3 to enter each of the three data sets. Record what the standard deviation is for each data set and answer the questions below.
Data set 1:0, 0, 0, 100, 100, 100
Data set 2:0, 20, 40, 60, 80, 100
Data set 3:0, 40, 45, 55, 60, 100
Note that all three data sets have a median of 50. Notice how spread out the points are in each data set and compare this to the standard deviations for the data sets. Describe the relationship you see between the amount of spread and the size of the standard deviation and explain why this connection exists. Do not give your calculations in your answerâ€”explain in sentence form. (8 points)
For the last 2 questions, use the Question 4-5 (Project 1 Data) tab of Discussion Board Forum 1/Project 2.xls to review the data from Project 1.
- Explain what an outlier is. Then, if there are any outliers in the Project 1 Data Set, what are they? For each state, give both the name and the temperature. If there are no outliers, say no outliers.
- Which 4 states have temperatures that look to be the most questionable or the most unrealistic to you? Explain why you selected these 4 states. For each state, give both the name and the temperature. (4 points)