Applying Current Literature to Clinical Practice
Literature in psychotherapy differs from other areas of clinical practice. Generally, there are no clinical trials in psychotherapy because it is often neither appropriate nor ethical to have controls in psychotherapy research. This sometimes makes it more difficult to translate research findings into practice. In your role, however, you must be able to synthesize current literature and apply it to your own clients.
- Evaluate the application of current literature to clinical practice
- Review Resources and reflect on the insights they provide.
- Select one of the psychodynamic therapy articles from the Learning Resources to evaluate for this Assignment.
PLEASE Addressed each of the bullets with a subtopic, use my references and all the references used must have an in-text citation in each paragraph. If you have to use other articles, they must be within last five years only that is from 2014 to 2018. Please do not begin a paragraph with author name(s) (PLEASE USE parenthetical/in-text citations)
In a 5- to 10-slide PowerPoint presentation, address the following:
- Provide an overview of the article you selected.
- What population is under consideration?
- What was the specific intervention that was used? Is this a new intervention or one that was already used?
- What were the authorâ€™s claims?
- Explain the findings/outcomes of the study in the article. Include whether this will translate into practice with your own clients. If so, how? If not, why?
- Explain whether the limitations of the study might impact your ability to use the findings/outcomes presented in the article. Support your position with evidence-based literature.
Note: The presentation should be 5â€“10 slides, not including the title and reference slides. Include presenter notes (no more than Â½ page per slide) and use tables and/or diagrams where appropriate. Be sure to support your work with specific citations from the article you selected. Support your approach with evidence-based literature.
Wheeler, K. (Ed.). (2014). Psychotherapy for the advanced practice psychiatric nurse: A how-to guide for evidence-based practice (2nd ed.). New York, NY: Springer Publishing Company.
- Chapter 5, â€œSupportive and Psychodynamic Psychotherapyâ€ (pp. 225â€“238 and pp. 245â€“258)
American Psychiatric Association. (2013). Diagnostic and statistical manual of mental disorders (5th ed.). Washington, DC: Author.
Note: You will access this text from the Walden Library databases.
How to Critically Appraise an Article by Young, J.; Solomon, M., in Nature Reviews Gastroenterology & Hepatology, Vol. 6/Issue 2. Copyright 2009 by Nature Publishing Group. Reprinted by permission of Nature Publishing Group via the Copyright Clearance Center.
Select one of the following articles on psychodynamic therapy to evaluate in your Assignment:
Aznar-Martinez, B., Perez-Testor, C., Davins, M., & Aramburu, I. (2016). Couple psychoanalytic psychotherapy as the treatment of choice: Indications, challenges, and benefits. Psychoanalytic Psychology, 33(1), 1â€“20. doi:10.1037/a0038503
Karbelnig, A. M. (2016). â€œThe analyst is presentâ€: Viewing the psychoanalytic process as performance art. Psychoanalytic Psychology, 33(supplement 1), S153â€“S172. doi:10.1037/a0037332
LaMothe, R. (2015). A future project of psychoanalytic psychotherapy: Revisiting the debate between classical/commitment and analytic therapies. Psychoanalytic Psychology, 32(2), 334â€“351. doi:10.1037/a0035982
Migone, P. (2013). Psychoanalysis on the Internet: A discussion of its theoretical implications for both online and offline therapeutic technique. Psychoanalytic Psychology, 30(2), 281â€“299. doi:10.1037/a0031507
Tummala-Narra, P. (2013). Psychoanalytic applications in a diverse society. Psychoanalytic Psychology, 30(3), 471â€“487. doi:10.1037/a0031375